Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Tuesday 23 April 2013

The Old Bell Inn, Delph


The Old Bell Inn, Huddersfield Road, Delph OL3 5EG
01457 870130

Originally an 18th century coaching inn, this is a restaurant and hotel rather than a pub. But is is quiet enough mid-week to drop in for a cofee or a real ale in the downstairs bar and dining room. If you want to eat here it's as well to book, especially at weekends, as it's a popular eating place. It has a good range of malt whiskies and wines as well as ale. 
UPDATE 2021: Dropped in early one morning in June, just for a coffee, got excellent service. They now have tables and chairs and marquees in the car park (adapting to Covid rules, no doubt) and do breakfast from eight in the morning.



Ambience - 4
relaxing

decor - 4
dark wood and cream, brass ornaments but not so many as to look cluttered; traditional.

Ale - 4
on my last visit they had Timothy Taylor and Black Sheep

service - 5
polite and welcoming

features - 3
serves food until early evening
accommodation
flowery beer garden - still there in 2021, but many more outside tables and marquees.

toilets - 4

Score 24 out of 30

the poshest "throne room" I've seen in a pub
  Wisteria-covered smokers' shelter next to the beer garden

No comments:

Post a Comment