Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Thursday 18 July 2013

The White House, Ripponden


The White House, on the A58 between Rochdale and Halifax, 
Blackstone Edge, Littleborough, OL15 0LG
01706 378456
This pub is high on the Pennines, with stunning views of Hollingworth Lake, Manchester and Rochdale, and the Pennine Way passes within a few yards of it. Built in 1671, it was originally a coaching inn called the coach and horses. It's opening times are weekdays 12pm-2pm and 6.30-9.30pm, Sundays 12pm-9pm.
ambience - 3
decor - 4
comfortable seats
service - 4
features - 2
children welcome before 9pm
Serves food, large menu
ales - 5
Theakstons plus guest ales
toilets - 4
fully supplied
Score 22 out of 30
 
  From a mile away to the north on the Pennine Way, you can see how isolated the pub is. It really is in the middle of nowhere, and I can only suppose it gets snowed in during the winter. This photo was from my second visit in May, and was the only photograph I felt able to take that day; it was the only 'normal' view. Some-one had caused a fire on the surrounding moor that week, turning it into two square miles of charcoal. It was a sickening sight. There were a number of homeless sky larks fluttering around, whose nests and chicks had been burned.

No comments:

Post a Comment