Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Saturday 16 July 2011

The Old Grey Mare, Oldham

Let's start with a trio of pubs within a mile of each other on Rochdale Road in Oldham. First up is:



UPDATE: The Old Grey Mare has been closed since June 2017. There is still a notice outside offering a new lease. 

UPDATE 2022: The Old Grey Mare is now an Indian restaurant. It used to be the 'go to' pub for away supporters who were going to a match at Oldham Athletic Football ground. I have not heard which pub the away fans go to now.

The Old Grey Mare, Rochdale Road, Oldham
Between Royton and Oldham Town Centre

A pleasant, homely pub with two bars.

Ambience - 4
Decor - 4              The back bar has a pale pine theme and big windows looking on to the
                             beer garden
Service - 4           Prompt and polite
Ale - 1                   Has Theakstons Best Bitter
Features - 3          Has national and local newspapers
                              Beer garden surrounded by greenery at the back
                             Serves food during the day
toilet - 3

SCORE 19 out of 30

No comments:

Post a Comment