Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Monday 14 November 2011

The Carriage Horse, Marsden

The Carriage Horse, Manchester Road, Marsden HD7 6NL
01484 844419
Bryn Clough reservoir and the Pennine Way, are just a few hundred yards along the A62 from the Carriage Horse. Many walkers doing the Pennine Way use it for an overnight stop. This small reservoir used to supply water to a local mill, and was later used to supply water to the Huddersfield Canal, which runs under the hills here through the Standedge Tunnel. You can see the ventilation shafts for the tunnel on the hill next to the pub, and across the road is an ancient spoil heap produced when the tunnel was being dug out.

The Carriage Horse is another restaurant pub and also a B&B, quarter of a mile nearer to Marsden than the Great Western on the same road; you can see one pub from the other. It also has a camping and caravan site next to it. It is open from 6pm weekdays, 12pm on Sunday. 

Ambience - 4
decor - 4
well maintained

service - 4
Prompt and welcoming, slightly better than the Great Western, at least on the day I was there

ales - 1
One guest ale

features - 4
serves food
location - fantastic moorland views
child friendly, children permitted in the restaurant area
has accommodation (look at the pub's own website for details)

Toilet - 3
clean, but was short of loo paper

Score 20 out of 30

1 comment:

  1. I have tried the lunch menu here last week and it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete