Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Saturday 24 December 2011

The White Lion, Delph



The White Lion, corner of Delph Lane and Denshaw Road, Delph OL3 5HX
01457 920038
This is in a 300 year old building, that was once two separate premises - the rooms are of very different sizes. Delph is a pleasant village in a steep sided hollow in the Pennine foothills. At the far end of the pub (looking at the first of these three pictures) there is the start of a footpath which leads past some angling ponds and alongside a stream to the remains of Castleshaw Roman fort. Worth a walk on a fine day in summer, it's two miles there and two back.

UPDATE 2022: I've been here a few times since I first wrote about it. It hasn't changed but I've added a couple of features I missed the first time.

ambience - 4
comfortable and cosy. The small compact rooms are on your left as you go in the front door. The bigger rooms and the pool table are on the right.

decor - 4

service - 4
friendly

ale - 3
three cask ales, including at least one from the Greenfield local brewery

features -4
serves food during the day
child friendly
dog friendly
Nice beer garden at the back

toilets - 3
clean and in decent condition

score 22 out of 30

This pub had a review in The Telegraph in 2011, read it on this link

No comments:

Post a Comment