Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Thursday, 15 August 2024

The Garsdale, Bury

 


The Garsdale
Woodhill Road, Bury BL8 1BT
TEL: 0161 764 1968

Country pub just outside Bury, near Burrs Country Park.It was refurbed and given a dining room back in 2003. It is close to the ruins of Higher Woodhill Mill and used to be the mill manager's house, so must date from the mid-19th century, though it doesn't look that old.

Disabled access isn't bad.

UPDATE: According to information received in August 2026 this pub is now closed.

ambience - 2
Another occasion when I was in a pub early lunchtime early in the week, when it was bound to be quiet. Except it wasn't all that quiet, there was piped music playing, including out in the big beer garden.

decor - 3
Brown. 

real ale -2
Two guest ales

Service - 1
I don't think all the staff are the same but I got the bar person who was blank faced and offhand and dead slow at serving.

features - 4
Serves food
dog friendly
Nice big beer garden out back that looks on to a field but I'm not a bit impressed by the plastic lawn. 
monthly open mic night
weekly quiz night

toilets - 4
Pristine

Score 16 out of 30


2 comments:

  1. Hi, I've just come across this blog page while researching the history of Burrs Country Park and thought you might like a bit of extra info. Although you're right in stating that the Garsdale was once a mill manager's house the building isn't as old as you might think, it was actually built in 1925 by the Star Bleaching Company who took over the original mills on the site. The pub went under new management in 2023 but closed around September 2025, and as of May 1st 2026 is listed as being permanently closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the new information, it is welcome.

      Delete