Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Sunday 20 May 2012

The Fox and Goose, Hebden Bridge





The Fox and Goose, Heptonstall Road, Hebden Bridge HX7 6AZ


UPDATE 2021: I hear this pub was registered as a community asset to stop it from being closed and is now being run by a local co-operative. Nice going. Not enough places make use of the community asset legislation to save their pubs.

This is on the main road into the village, and about half a mile nearer to the village centre than The Stubbings Wharf.


There has been a pub on the site since 1583. The current building dates from the 18th century and retains the original layout. As of February 2012, local people were aiming to form a co-op to buy out the pub from the brewery and keep it open.

Decor - 4
The walls are cream, the wooden beams black. If this sounds basic, it perfectly fits the age and style of the building. It does have a ceiling festooned with 'beer badges' in the main room where the bar is. There are three rooms, with no obvious distinction between a lounge and bar, small but not cramped.The seating is comfortably cushioned.

Ambience - 4

service - 1
This might not be typical of the place, but when I visited the bar staff were too dozy, or too distracted, to notice when people came to the bar for fresh drinks. You practically had to wave your glass in their faces to get served.

ales - 3
When I visited (March 2012) they had Margery's Tiddlywink, Dark Chocolate and Titanic, plus a farmhouse cider

Features - 3
Beer garden at the back.The pub is on the side of such a steep hill that you have to go upstairs to the first floor to get to it.
Dogs and children are both welcome.

Toilets - 4
Nicely maintained.

Score 19 out of 30

No comments:

Post a Comment