Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Friday 13 July 2012

The White Swan, Hebden Bridge









The White Swan, Bridge Gate, Hebden Bridge HX7 8EX


In the centre of the village, facing a bridge over the river.

decor - 3
ambience - 2
Traditional pub ornaments of mugs, jugs and brass pots hung all over the ceiling. It is carpeted in all rooms, but all the furniture is wood, so there is nothing really comfortable to sit on.

service - 3
ales - 2
Ales: Bitter & Twisted, and an ale called Elizabeth Wood, which is apparently the pub's own and is named after a woman who was its landlady for 30 years.

features - 2
Children are allowed in before eight o'clock.
Serves reasonably priced pub food, until nine o'clock

Toilets - 4
Pristine

Score 16 out of 30


No comments:

Post a Comment