Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Sunday 10 March 2013

The Railway Hotel, Marsden


 
The Railway Hotel, 34 Station Road, Marsden HD7 6DH
01484 841541
 
Like all 'railway' pubs, this is near a train station - less than a quarter of a mile from Marsden station - but it is also within walking distance of the dramatic scenery of Marsden moor.
 
decor - 4
ambience - 4
comfortable furniture, light and spacious interior, if a bit bland. Has one single large room.
 
service - 4
very friendly
 
features - 4
beer garden
serves food
child friendly
permits dogs
 
ale - 3
 
toilets - 5
pristine and fully supplied
 
Score 24 out of 30  
 
 

A couple of interior shots, early on a weekday
 
 
Marsden Moor, with the Spillway leading down from the reservoir to the left. There is currently a local campaign to preserve the Spillway, as United Utilities are planning ot replace it with a concrete version, instead of the local gritstone (which is much more pleasing to the eye and blends with the landscape.)


No comments:

Post a Comment