Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Sunday 16 February 2014

The Nook, Holmfirth


The Nook (aka Rose and Crown), 3A Victoria Square, Holmfirth HD9 2DN
01484 682373
On first sight I thought this was a gift shop, due to the style of the lettering above the window, it having no pub sign, and the view inside being obscured by a swarm of stickers on the window. It was only from reading the plaque on the wall and then taking a closer look that I realised it was a drinking establishment. It's also a microbrewery. Perfect for real ale lovers, though less than perfect for people who like their pubs comfortable and clean.
It's a bit difficult to find, down a side street off the Hollowgate.
ambience -2
décor -1
Clay tile floors, no carpets. Wooden furniture, few padded seats, and the décor is distinctly shabby and grubby. Looks like I imagine a basic beerhouse would have looked in times past. It has real coal fires in all three rooms. This should have made the place cosy, but while real coal fires can give out a fierce heat, they need regular stoking and these weren't properly stoked. Two were nearly out and the place was cold.
service - 2
A bit off hand
Ales - at least 5
Cherry Stout, Millstone Dark Galleon, Rescue Road (10 pence from each pint sold goes to Holmfirth Mountain Rescue team).
Features - 5
dogs on leads permitted
jukebox
varied burger and pub grub menu
live music session on Sundays and occasionally during the month
darts
Toilets - 4
Plain décor, but less shabby than the rest of the pub; very clean
Score 19 out of 30


No comments:

Post a Comment