Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Sunday 6 April 2014

The Junction Inn, Denshaw





The Junction Inn
Huddersfield Road, Denshaw, OL3 5SE
01457 874265

I can't believe I haven't posted anything for this pub before. I thought I had, but I can't find an entry for it. I have been here a few times, since it is right in the centre of Denshaw village, which is the start or end point for a lot of my walks in the Pennines. The building dates from the 18th century and was originally a coaching inn at the junction of toll roads running between Oldham, Huddersfield, Rochdale and Ripponden. These days it is a rather upmarket restaurant pub with a lot of original features inside. 

UPDATE 2021: There is still a car park at the back but the bus route has changed, now it's the 356 Oldham to Ashton-under-Lyne that passes the pub, runs every hour. Due to the pandemic restrictions, it now has more tables outside at the front of the building. Otherwise, it's as pleasant and relaxing as ever.

ambience - 4
Pleasant, relaxing, the piped music is not obtrusive.

décor - 4
tasteful and uncluttered, comfortable seating

service - 5
Couldn't be more helpful

ale - 1
JW Lees

features - 4
dog friendly
children permitted if they are with adults who are dining, up to 6pm
serves food, nicely varied pub grub menu
wi fi  

toilets - 4

Score 22 out of 30

No comments:

Post a Comment