Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Wednesday 18 May 2016

Bird in the Hand and Bird in Hand





I passed both pubs early this month (April 2021) on my way to walk round Ogden and Piethorne reservoirs, a mile further up the road, and it looks like the Bird in Hand has permanently closed, possibly a casualty of the pandemic. The front door and ground floor windows are tightly boarded up. I didn't notice the date stone when I first visited. It seems this is the newer of the two pubs. To find out if there are any plans for it, you'd need to look up the planning department of Rochale council.
    Pubs were still closed at the time, so I wasn't able to drop in to the Bird in the Hand, but on peering through the window, I could see that all the furniture and bar fittings were still intact and there were bottles of condiments lined up on one table, so I'm assuming that it has either now re-opened, or will reopen on 17th May.

UPDATE April 2023: The Bird in Hand is still closed. The Bird In The Hand is still open, I got a friendly welcome when I dropped in there.







There are a few pubs called 'Bird in the Hand' or 'Bird in Hand', but I know of nowhere where there are two of such similar names within 100 yards of each other on the same street.
Huddersfield Road,  Newhey, Rochdale OL16 3QZ

They are known locally as the Top Bird and the Bottom Bird. The Bird in the Hand looks like the older of the two, as the building has the long, low windows that are common in former weaver's workshops, of which there are a lot in this part of the county. They date from the 17th or 18th century. But I have not been able to find out about the history of either pub. Both are Samuel Smiths, and both are essentially locals' pubs,  Since they are so similar, they've got the same rating:

Ambience - 3

decor - 3
comfortable seating
 

service - 4
friendly

Real ales - 1

features -  3
real fire
pub games
dog friendly 

toilets - 4

Score 18 out of 30

No comments:

Post a Comment