Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Sunday 30 May 2021

The Blazing Rag, Mossley




The Blazing Rag
15 George Street, Mossley OL5 0HW
01457 837184

It's an unusual name, though not the only such in the country, there are Blazing Rag pubs in Buxton and Nottingham as well. According to Wikipedia, the name is associated with hound trailing, which dates to the 18th century, where hounds were set to follow the scent of a rag soaked in paraffin and aniseed. The rag was customarily burned in the pub fire at the end of the trail. 
    I have no information whether hound trailing was ever carried out in the Mossley area. In the few areas in Britain, including Devon and the Lake District, where scent trailing by hounds is still carried out, there is much evidence that it is being used as a cover for illegal fox hunting. The CPS and the police seem strangely reluctant to prosecute this crime.





Decor - 2
Newish decoration, comfortable seating, but completely bare walls in an unattractive shade of pale grey. It's the first time I've seen a pub with no ornaments, pictures or posters whatsoever.

Ambience - 2
A friendly regular's pub, but the decor gives it a clinical feel.

Features - 3
It has a TV screen and shows the football.
In normal times it had live music. This may return.
dog friendly

Real Ale- 3

Service - 3
(Allowing for the fact that pubs are still under coronavirus restrictions, so it's table service only.)

Toilets - 5
Perfect

Score 18 out of 30

No disabled access. (This doesn't attract or subtract any points as a lot of pubs are in old buildings that aren't practical to adapt. But I'm going to start mentioning it from now on, with reference to how accessible the building is for people with mobility impairments.)


See what I mean about the bare walls

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment