Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Monday 29 August 2016

Jubilee Refreshment Rooms





Jubilee Refrreshment Rooms
Sowerby Bridge Railway Station
Sowerby Bridge

This isn't really a pub, it's a station refreshment room that serves beer (and other alcoholic drinks) plus coffee and snacks. It was previously the station ticket office, the current managers took it over in 2009 and turned it into the kind of refreshment room that would have been usual at train stations early in the 20th century. It's notable that nearly all the drinks and food served here is sourced from local producers.

ambience - 3
decor - 3
a bit basic looking, magnolia colour scheme, dining chairs round tables. Railway memorabilia on the walls.

ale - 3

service - 4
friendly

features - 3
dog friendly
serves snacks, cakes, pies, and sandwiches and breakfasts early morning
regular meetings for transport enthusiasts and other events such as whisky tastings (see their website for news on events)

toilets - 5

Score 21 out of 30

No comments:

Post a Comment