Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Tuesday 3 April 2018

The White Lion


The White Lion
109 High Street, Lees OL4 4LY
TEL: 624 3621

This pub stands out on its own at the top of Lees High Street, and at one time was in Yorkshire, before they changed the county boundary  by half a mile and put it into Lancashire. It hosts events for Yorkshire Day, which is celebrated in the eastern districts of Oldham that used to be in that county.

Ambience - 3
The sign over the door says "Your friendly community local", and it is friendly, if a bit rowdy at times. I didn't get a chance to ask whether it has been designated a community asset. For those who haven't heard of this, it is a method of saving local pubs by making sure they aren't closed down and 'redeveloped' into something else, or simply demolished.

Decor - 3
Wooden floors and furniture, dark green walls and carpets, comfortable seating.

Features- 1
Serves food, a small but good pub menu.

Real ale - 0

Service - 2
The service is good - when you get it. The trouble is, there are a lot of seats in front of the bar and when they are fully occupied by drinkers, it can be impossible to get near enough to the bar to state your order. I hate that situation in a pub because I'm not tall enough to be easily visible. I had to wave a tenner over one of the drinker's heads to get the barperson's attention, and then the bar-proppers were reluctant to move so I could pick up my pint.
I prefer pubs which either only have bar stools at the sides of the bar, or else have a notice that asks patrons to move away from the bar once they've got their drinks.

Toilets - 3

Score - 12 out of 30


No comments:

Post a Comment