Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Wednesday 1 January 2020

The Black Ladd, Grains Bar, Oldham



487 Buckstones Road, Grains Bar, Oldham
01706 847541

This is worth a visit just for the views. It is near the top of the hills above Oldham, surrounded by fields and gives a wonderful view over most of Manchester. And yet the nearest tram stop is only a 20 minute walk straight down the hill, at Shaw.

decor - 4
Black and white beamed interior, stone floor in the bar area. Seats comfortable enough.
ambience - 4
Relaxed, traditional feel

Real ale - 1
one only, Black Sheep

Service - 4
Fast and attentive

Features - 3
serves food, English pub menu
Family friendly
Has to have a point for that view

Toilets - 3
In decent condition,  but short of soap

Score 19 out of 30

No comments:

Post a Comment