Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Tuesday 3 May 2022

The Packhorse, Hayfield, High Peak

 


The Packhorse
3-5 Market Street, Hayfield, High Peak SK22 2EP
01663 749126

Hayfield is the village the mass trespassers walked through on their way to KInder Scout in 1932, and the village held a commemoration of the 90th anniversary of the event on 8th April 2022.

The Packhorse is a restaurant pub near the church.

decor - 2
white ceiling, painted-over beams, ugly greenish-grey walls, few pictures or ornaments.

ambience - 3
Not unpleasant, despite the offputting choice of wall colour. Piped music, something I never like even when it's not loud. Mostly wooden seats with a few padded chairs and benches.

service - 5
fast and courteous

real ale - 3
features - 5
Food. I don't do food reviews but their website indicates they are proud of the quality of what's on the menu.
Weekly quiz night
child friendly
dog friendly - or so I surmise because they have a dog water bowl with fresh water placed inside the front door.
Location, in the heart of the Peak District with excellent walking country just yards from the front door

toilets - 3
Decent but the hand dryer has been fixed low above a wooden shelf and there is no space to get your hands under it to dry them.

Score 21 out of 30

disabled access - uneven cobbles at the front and a step up to the front door







No comments:

Post a Comment