Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Monday 8 May 2023

The Turks Head, Royton, Oldham



 


The Turks Head
119 Castleton Road, Royton, Oldham  OL2 6JP
TEL: 0161 624 9895

Large red brick pub with four or five outside tables, looks 1930s, it was perhaps built to serve the housing estate it is on the edge of. It is now definitely a restaurant. I have come across restaurant pubs that have so little space for drinkers that you can barely call them pubs, like the Olde Hall in Haworth but this pub had almost none. There are only three small tables available for people who have just come in for a drink and a few, inevitably uncomfortable, high stools at the bar. The just-drinkers seem to prefer the outside tables. Too bad if it rains since none of them are under a canopy or marquee.

ambience - 3
Good if you've come to dine, no piped music so conversation is possible and there's a convivial atmosphere

decor - 4
The whole pub is done in tasteful shades of green and has comfortable seating

service - 2
The trouble was, as soon as I stepped in a waitress strode up and wanted to know if I'd booked a table. Since I was at the time in muddy boots (I had just done a walk along local footpaths and across fields), carrying a rucksack and my hair was plastered to my head with sweat, I could hardly have looked like I'd booked in as a diner. The approach was a bit too peremptory and I felt unwelcome. When I said I'd only dropped in for a drink the waitress immediately lost interest and vaguely waved in the direction of the eastern end of the bar. But let's be generous, she was very young, maybe she doesn't have the experience yet to appreciate how she might come across in the wrong way.. 

features - 1
serves food

I couldn't tell if it's also child and dog friendly. I didn't see any children or dogs when I was there. There's no room for pub games and there were no TV screens. Though some people might appreciate a pub where football is absent!

real ale - 2
Usually two guest ales. They had Wainwright when I was there.

toilets - 5
Pristine and fully supplied

Score 17 out of 30

No comments:

Post a Comment