Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Sunday 9 July 2023

The Pint Pot, Salford

 

The Old Pint Pot
2 Adelphi Street, Salford M3 6EN
TEL:

This can be reasonably described as a scruffy student pub. I have passed it many times on the bus, I finally went in with a friend because it is close to the section of the Salford Trail that goes through Peel Park. It is very definitely a student pub, we were the only greyheads in there.
   It is set back from the main road and slightly downhill from it. The disabled access is rubbish. It looks like it has a door that is level with the car park but it wasn't open when we were there and the staff looked blank when we asked how anyone with mobility problems could get into the pub from the outside. There are only two ways to get into the pub, one involves steep steps down from the car park, the other a longer winding set of steps that starts at pavement level on the main road and winds alongside the River Irwell to the beer garden.
   The building used to be a school. It opened as a pub called the Adelphi Riverside in the Eighties and changed its name to the Old Pint Pot in the mid-Nineties. 

decor - 1
The place is supposed to have had a makeover as recently as 2019 but that doesn't seem to have included a refurb. The paintwork is old, chipped and grubby. The seating is comfortable but shabby and looks old.

ambience - 4
No matter the scruffy appearance, has a lively, friendly vibe. Has piped music, which I hate but at least it was all indie rock, my favourite music.

service - 3
A little bit slow, but okay once we'd got the bar person's attention. 

ale - 1
It's a Marstons pub but has one guest ale. This was Wainwrights when I was there.

features - 4
live music upstairs
serves food
open mic night
big beer garden with nice view of the Irwell

toilets - 3
No soap

Disabled access non-existent

Score 16 out of 30



No comments:

Post a Comment