Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Sunday 9 July 2023

The Cavendish, Keighley

 


The Cavendish
84 Cavendish Street, Keighley, Yorkshire BD21 3DF
TEL: 01535 681737

Keighley seems to be short of pubs, this was the only one I saw in the town centre when I was there. It was closed for two years from 2020 until February 2022, when it was bought by the Admiral Taverns group. It was built on the site of a previous pub,  the Oddfellows Arms. In 1899 the brewery T. Ramsden & Sons had acquired the Oddfellows Arms on condition that they demolished it and built a grander pub. In this period Cavendish Street was undergoing redevelopment to make it wider, to accommodate more traffic.

decor - 3
Big open bar space with a pool room at the back.

ambience - 4
I was there during the day, when there was a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere. I'm told it gets lively at night.

service - 3

real ale - 1
1 guest ale
Regular beer is Doombar and Boltmaker

features - 4
karaoke and DJ
quiz night
live music
dog friendly

toilets - 3

Disabled access okay, there are no steps into the building

Score 18 out of 30

No comments:

Post a Comment