Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Sunday 2 June 2024

The Dog Inn, Whalley

 

The Dog Inn
55 King Street, Whalley BB7 9SP
TEL: 01254 823009

A seventeenth century pub, with the date 1641 over the door, this is Whalley's oldest pub. It was originally called the Spotted Dog and was a farmhouse up to the 19th century and sold only beer. At some point it expanded into the shop premises next door. You can see on the inside that it was once two different premises.

decor - 2
shabby

ambience - 3
Inviting

Service - 2
A bit off hand

Real ales - 4
Included Portmadog dark ale and Golden Salamander when I was there (May 2024)

Features - 4
TV 
pool table
dog friendly
Serves food

Toilets - 3

Score 18 out of 30
 

No comments:

Post a Comment