Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Friday, 25 September 2026

The Moon Under Water, Wigan

 


The Moon Under Water
5-7a Market Street, Wigan WN1 1PE
TEL: 01942 323437

Since this is a Wetherspoons pub you know there are some features you can always expect:  plenty of choices of real ale, a British pub food menu, and child friendly up to a certain time of night, usually 9pm at the latest. Also like all Wetherspoons pubs it respects and displays the history of the pub and the locality. However, although there are texts and photographs round the walls about women miners in Wigan, the Leeds-Liverpool canal (which passes close to the town centre), and Wigan Casino, there isn't much about the history of the building itself. The pub website says the current pub is from two combined buildings. One was a bank opened in 1890 and closed in 1957, that subsequently was turned into a shoe shop. The other is a 1960s building that was built on the site of the old Cross Keys pub. Other internet sources give this same information but nowhere can I find the name of the former bank and I can't find out when the two buildings were turned into a Wetherspoons pub. It might have been in the 1990s but I have only found one hint. There might be something in the Land Registry records, for anybody curious enough to pay them the £3 to get the property records.


Ambience - 3
spacious, lively

decor - 4
Brown and teal, comfortable padded chairs

Service - 3
Bit slow

Real ale - 5

Features - 2
serves food
child friendly
No darts, pool or other pub games but in my experience Wetherspoons pubs never have these.

Toilets - 3

There is level access at the front door and an accessible toilet on the same level.

Score 20 out of 30

No comments:

Post a Comment