Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Friday, 25 September 2026

The Raven, Wigan

 



The Raven
5 Wallgate, Wigan WN1 1LD
TEL: 01942 239764

The current building was built in 1904 to replace a previous Raven pub building, which had been trading since 1854. It was made a grade II listed building in 1997 and renovated in 2012.

decor - 4
wood and teal colours, green tiled walls and other original features.
Comfortable seating.

ambience - 3
buzzy

service -5
Fast and courteous

real ales - 3

features - 3
dartboard
TV
hidden beer garden

toilet - 3

Score 26 out of 30

Why the beer garden is considered hidden I don't know, you can find it easily enough when you go into the pub, it's straight through in a cobbled yard at the back. It's rather nice, has hanging baskets with real flowers as well as a lot of painted ones.




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment