Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Thursday 12 May 2022

Miltons Tap, Buxton, Derbyshire

 


Miltons Tap, 63 Spring Gardens, Buxton
01298 24733

This was previously called Milton's Head, it underwent a refurb in 2019-2020. The result is a mixture of booths and wooden tables at the back which give a retro slightly Seventies feel, and a narrow Victorian tap room at the front on the right, which must have a coal fire because it smells of coal smoke. No, that isn't a bad smell. If you're old enough to have been brought up with coal fires it's nostalgic. A nice touch, it has antique metal adverts along the wall at the back.

ambience - 3
Friendly, lively, piped music but muted

decor - 3
comfortable seating

Service - 5
fast, efficient, friendly

Real ales - 2

Features - 3
Serves food
child friendly
dog friendly

Toilets - 3

Score 19 out of 30

A high street pub, unremarkable like all of them, but friendly enough that you would want to go back regularly if you lived near.

No comments:

Post a Comment