Welcome

If you love the British pub, you will like this blog. Here I will review the pubs I drop into in my wanderings around my home region - urban, rural, posh, homely, fun pubs, restaurant pubs, and local backstreet pubs. I hope to encourage people to appreciate them.
I will score each pub out of five points each (30 points maximum) on its ambience, decor, service, whether it serves real ales, state of the toilets (but I can't vouch for the state of the gents because I don't use them!) and what extras it has - games, beer garden, newspapers, serves food, karaoke, quizzes, live music.
If after reading one of my reviews you decide to check out a pub, I hope you enjoy the experience. But bear in mind that I have only visited some of them once, and pubs and pub managers change. If the review needs updating, please leave a comment.
Ups and downs? Well, people drink when they're down. And they drink to celebrate, when they're feeling 'up'. Besides that, this is hill country. It's full of ups and downs.
(ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHT)

Wednesday 20 July 2022

The Gathurst Station Inn, near Wigan

 



Gathurst Station Inn, Gathurst Lane, Shevington, Wigan WN6 8HZ

This used to be the ticket office and waiting room for Gathurst station on the Southport to Wigan Wallgate line. The building was built in the 1880s and was still operating as a ticket office into the early 1980s, to the best of my own recollection; I walked along the Leeds-Liverpool canal (which is only a quarter mile along the main road from here) a number of times when I was a teenager and got the train home from Gathurst.  The railway line is behind the pub in the second photo.

ambience - 2
decor - 1
It is sadly in need of refurbishment and redecoration. What I noticed as I walked in was the smell of damp and the shabbiness. The seating in the lounge is comfortable but it's untidy. There was a defunct tv screen propped on one bench and a stack of chairs behind the door.

real ales - 0
No cask beer at all

service - 5
The hugely friendly and attentive service makes up for the scruffiness of the surroundings.

features- 4 
Mini pool table in front of the bar
Two screens with Sky sports
Very dog friendly
Nice beer garden out front

Toilet - 3
Fully supplied but as shabby as the rest of the pub and I've seen cleaner floors.

Score 15 out of 30

No comments:

Post a Comment